If the US were like this, would you still be willing to stand by God?
Christine: dang man.we're so privileged.Privlege. Is this really about privlege? I mean if you are to compare their situation to ours than yes we are privleged. But I think that if you compared anyone to anyone else then anyone can be considered privleged. Unless you are at the lowest of lows. Cause aren't the NK Christians already privledged for being Christians? Or I don't know is that not a valid comparison. I think for me, being privleged was not the thing that hit me first, it was more like "Oh man that is sad, that's just wrong, they should be able to live lives and experience religious freedom the same way that I do." So in a sense it was more like… this should be STANDARD. But is that too selfish to think of religious freedom as a standard. I guess in order for things to be considered privleged, does there first need to be a standard?
me: yeah compared to that but regardless its sad.
it shouldn't be like that
Christine: yeah i think its more sad that christians in the us don't even value their privilege man i
wonder if we lived in north korea type circumstance show many ppl would actually
still be christian
I don't know if I feel privleged cause I think that if I do then it's taking all the attention from the problem and putting it on me and how I feel vs what the situation out there is for them and how they should be able to live with the same religious freedom that we "take for granted". So in that strange sense wouldn't it be selfish for us to take their situation as a lesson for us to value our privilege? I don't know…but I do know that I don't think I feel privileged nor do I feel like I should value it cause I don't know what that means, I feel sad and remorseful and even slightly angry at the NK government regime. I don't want to take the situation and apply to me cause that feels selfish. It shouldn't be "NK Christians are dying so WE should value…, or Africian children so WE shouldn't throw away food…" What about them? Shouldn't the draw be to them?
It's too easy to read news articles or come back from mission trips and go "oh man we're so priviledged here" so then you don't use your AC anymore or conserve water for a few weeks, or stop spending or something. But that's all relatively for us, how does this help the people that you are comparing yourself to. I mean I'm not saying that we should go out there and fight the NK gov't (maybe we can) but I guess I don't understand this whole "we should value our privilege" thing cause really what does that look like and what does it mean? Read the bible more, QT more? Cause I mean sure you can do that but if you consume your whole life with that then doesn't it take away from some of the other things that we are also at privileged for, like enjoying the California weather? And how does this help the cause--sometimes it feels like the whole privilege thing just helps us.
Confused. Anyway this is just my current plethora of thoughts. I guess its really besides the point of the article… but I mean…just some of my thoughts. I'm not trying to attack Christine or anything, it's just our reactions are different I guess. I'm not even sure if I know what I'm saying...
5 comments:
asdfasd
What a depressing article. It really baffles me that such a totalitarian regime still exists. I agree with you that religious freedom should be a standard (same with freedom of speech). And I don't think that's being selfish, it's verging on violation of human rights for me.
actually, you're looking at their plight and saying they should have what WE have with our religious freedom. but when i think of our privileges &their plight, i'm thinking, dude, we should have what THEY have in courage, faith, &hope in God. so it's all just a matter of perspective :)
&i realized that with enjoying privileges, it's not so much putting all emphasis on those privileges as it is on putting the emphasis on the source of the privileges. when my parents give me money, it's a privilege. but it's a privilege that causes me to appreciate my parents more ¬ so much the money.
whoops.
it's christine. not joshua. :) HEHEHEHEHEHE. i'm on my bro's computer
Post a Comment